Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Linguini with tomato sauce


This is a mish-mash of various pasta recipes I've been reading on food blogs and seeing on food network (I highly recommend it for wholesome, family entertainment :)

Ingredients:
Linguine pasta (I added as much as I could hold in my hand :p)
finely chopped tomatoes - 2
finely chopped onion - 1
red chili flakes - 1/2 a palmful
mustard - 1 teaspoon
garlic - 3/4 cloves
1/2 a cup shitake mushrooms (I used frozen)
1/2 cup any store-bought marinara/pasta sauce (I used a combination of salsa and a few teaspoons of peanut sauce)
olive oil - 3/4 teaspoons
cheese - 4-5 teaspoons shredded parmesan, a spoonful of cream cheese
lemon juice - 2 teaspoons
salt - as needed
handful of sunflower seeds and dried cranberries

Recipe:
Boil water (enough to cover the pasta), add salt to the boiling water and add the linguini to it (takes 8-10 minutes to cook). Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, garlic, onion and saute for a few minutes, add the sunflower seeds, red chili flakes, tomatoes, frozen mushroom, the pasta sauce, 1/4 cup of water and let it simmer for 5-10 minutes. Add salt, cranberries and lemon juice. Drain the pasta and add the sauce to it. Toss well and sprinkle the cheeses on it.